Today, Katie Cavuto – Dietitian and Culinary Nutritionist shares her favorite hummus recipes for our ScullyFit residents to make at home!
Hummus is one of my all-time favorite snack dips. It is made using whole food ingredients like beans, tahini (sesame seed paste), garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. You can use it as a dip for fruits and vegetables or as a spread on sandwiches. I also love the versatility of hummus because you can take the foundation recipe and add extra vegetables, herbs and spices so that you never get bored! Here are a few ways to spruce up your hummus and a couple of recipes I love!
- Spices like cumin, turmeric, hot pepper, coriander and saffron
- Fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, basil and cilantro
- Vegetables like sweet potato, butternut squash, roasted peppers or kale
- Mix up your beans and try white beans, edamame or black beans instead of traditional garbanzo beans
- Get creative with condiment mix-ins like siracha, harissa, wasabi and garlic chili sauce
Recipes to try!
Katie Cavuto is the official dietitian to the Philadelphia Phillies and the Flyers, as well as a chef, writer and nutrition expert who offers corporate and private nutrition counseling and cooking classes. She’s also a local and regional TV and media personality whose writing and voice has appeared in Parents Magazine, foodnetwork.com, O, the Oprah Magazine, Philadelphia magazine, and Women’s Health (among other publications). Katie also plays the role of mom: Son Hudson is four. For more healthy living inspiration visit her blog Nourish.Breathe.Thrive.